On 30/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>I don't think it's the harddrive so much as some other thing.. Some guy on
>the net with a similar problem said he went out and bought another
>harddrive, which was fine for 3 days, then the same thing happened.. I'd
>hate that to be me. It's heartbreaking.. my baby's only 2 years old :( And I
>fear it's giving me the chance to get in now just to backup stuff and won't
>be running long. At first I thought it was a virus, but it's not. I never
>thought I'd say this, but I WISH IT WERE A VIRUS.. cos then the fix would be
>a simple reformat.. :((
>
>Ryan

Ryan, unless someone's already suggested this, have you tried booting up
from an OS CD? If the computer will run happily from the CD, will it then
access your data on the hard drive?

The process, as the Cat In The Hat said, is 'Eliminatus Calculatus. To
find out what it is, first you find out what it is not....

Swapping out a hard drive on a laptop should be relatively easy. Have you
got one you could borrow? Clicking sounds can come from a number of
sources...hard drives sure...inverter boards can click...speakers can
just click away sometimes - if there's a problem.

The only correct way to troubleshoot computer hardware is to replace
components according to the manufacturer's protocols which will be listed
in the Troubleshooting section of the Service Manual for the particular
machine. In your case it will go something like:

Computer refuses to start up:

1/ Start up from Boot CD

2/ Restart using reset button.

3/ Replace main battery.

4/Try known good power adapter

5/ Replace PRAM battery

6/ Replace hard drive

7/ Replace Power Board

8/ Replace logic Board

(obviously this is not meant for your machine or any machine, rather it
is a very rough example of how the instructions might look)

This is why service centers for computers cost so much, because they have
test jigs and zillions  of components at hand to try. Testing a Power
Board may be too time consuming and labor-intensive when the alternative
of trying a 'known good' unit is quick and usually foolproof.

Sorry you are having problems, but unless you find a forum where other
users of the same machine post quick fix-its (like: 'oh yeah, yer hinge
is flapping, superglue it'), then the repair route can be a real PITA.

HTH

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__