From: "Raimo Korhonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Actually it was given to Finland by the League of Nations.

That is correct. This was in June 1921, after Finland, having put the Aland Islands
under military occupation, had declared that she wouldn't comply with any decision by
the League of Nations, other than one which forced Aland and the Alanders under
Finnish sovereignty, and that Finland, if she wouldn't have her way, would rather go
to war to get it.
(You could even say that it was England who by her influential position in the League
of Nations gave Aland to Finland. If the wish of the Aland people would materialize -
what possible consequences would such a precedent carry with regards to the British
Empire, and not only to the Irish question.)

> There was no referendum but prominent Alanders were of the opinion that Aland should
> be given to Sweden and of course Sweden had nothing against it.

It's true that there was no formal referendum, as we know it today. The reason for
this was that Finland, subjecting Aland political leaders and spokesmen to political
harrassments and illegal imprisonment, wouldn't allow the Alanders to conduct one,
under threat of imprisoning those who asked for an internationally supervised
referendum.

However, the Alanders did cast votes. In June of 1919 96% of those casting their vote,
by signing their names to a petition, voted for Aland to return to it's motherland
Sweden.

Present day Finnish history legend on the Aaland Island Question bears similarities to
the Soviet-Russian history legend regarding those states which were forced under
Soviet rule. The Soviet history writing basically said that only "fascist" elements
opposed the free will of the people of those countries to join the Soviet Union.
In Finland they say that only "some prominent Alanders" didn't want Aland to become
Finnish, when in fact 96% voted for Sweden and against Finland.
"Anything but Finland" declared the Alanders before the League of Nation. Even
independence, although they knew it meant the greatest economic difficulties.

>Now it is a demilitarised area with quite extensive autonomy.
> Last time there was a poll about the matter the majority preferred to stay with
> Finland - no doubt because it is financially beneficial.

Whether it is or not, is a matter of debate.

> The idea of an independent state with a population of a major village - 25000 - is,
> well ... interesting.

I completely agree with you. Most of nowaday so called micro states are very
prosperous.

Lasse