I remember buying a monitor at Sears (on sale).

SALESMAN: Would you like the extended warrenty? It covers you for 2 years instead of only 1 like the manufactures warrenty.

ME: It says on the box it has a 4 year warrenty.

SALESMAN: The extended warrenty covers the CRT for 2 years the manufactures is only for 90 days.

ME: It says here that the CRT is covered for 4 years also.

SALESMAN: You really need the extended warrenty...

ME: You want to sell me this, you need to shut up. NOW!

--

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The Sears salesman asked if we wanted one on our air conditioner in 1971. My wife worked in the home office of Sears and we knew they were pure profit for Sears and a very expensive insurance policy for us. We havn't bought any for anything in the last 30 years, and I can't remember ever being burned by that choice.

Point is...
1)  They have been around for a long time as a vehicle to build retailer margins. (not
a bad thing to a retailer!)
2)  Don't ever purchase them!  Save the money and bet on black if you ever reach Las
Vegas.  The returns are better...
Regards,  Bob S.

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."