> > Alan Chan asked about the peculiar results he was seeing with the tripod
> > collar on his 300/4.5 (i.e. less sharp results for long exposures than
> > using the camera-body tropod mount).
> >
> > Apparently, it IS possible for a poorly designed tripod collar to be worse
> > than no tripod collar.  Bjorn Rorslett, a Nikon guru, has been griping
> > about recent Nikon telephoto lens tripod collar designs for a couple
> > of years, saying that they are too flexible and poorly placed and
> > actually multiply vibration.  From what I remember of the F/FA 300/4.5
> > it has just the same sort of tripod collar design as the 300/4.0 AFS
> > Nikkor that Bjorn really exploded over.
>
> Have a look at the F 300/4.5, the collar is heavy and mounted very close to the
> rear of the lens which would provide very good balance much like the Micro-
> Nikkor 200 mm f/4 (AIS version) that Bjørn Rørslett called "The Real Thing".

Got to admit that I never owned an F 300/4.5, so I'm going from memory
as to exactly what the tripod collar looked like.  Isn't there a white
(F?) AF lens and a silver (FA?) one?  I never thought much about
the AF 300/4.5 designs because I had an A* 300/4 at the time, and the
AF on the SF-1 didn't impress me.

The 300/4 A* didn't have a tripod mount, right? (otherwise I ditched it).
All the 300/4.5ish Nikkors do, but they are all heavier than the 300/4 A*.

Also got to admit that I use a tripod a couple of times a year at best.
I was normally shooting news or action with the 300/4 which meant I had
to use hand-holdable speeds to stop action anyway.

> The collar on the AFS 400 mm f/2.8 Nikkor is more likely designed as a
> combination handle and monopod mount. Of the Pentax lenses that I have with
> mounts all are quite substancial and all behave very well on a stable tripod
> far better than when supported by a body (if possible).

The only Pentax lens that I had that had a tripod collar, IIRC, was the
300/2.8 A*.  The tripod collar was very solid, as was the rest of the
lens.  The 300/2.8 Nikkor was a bit sharper, but the Pentax lens survived
mistreatment much better.  I can almost hand-hold the Nikkor 300/2.8 but
the Pentax 300/2.8 A always lived on a monopod.
I'd never even have CONSIDERED putting the Super Program on the monopod
and hanging that monster off it!

DJE