As a US citizen, that has always bothered me.
To call those citizens of the U.S. of A. "Americans" seems to be great
hubris, especially when it's them saying it, and patently ignores the
fact that there are other Americans, both north and south of the Canal Zone.
I suppose it's like coke in lieu of Coca Cola. In spite of CC's lawyers,
common usage makes it acceptable, if not legal. . .
Nevertheless, the feeling remains.

keith whaley