On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Boris Liberman wrote:
> As an aside observation - current prosumer grade DZLR seems to be like
> 8 mp. I know that pixel count is not the Holy Grail itself, but it
> does matter. So if for some reason I were to shoot most of my stuff at
> nominal sensitivity, then my theoretically just acquired Canon Rebel D
> would already lose to latest offerings from Sony, Canon themselves, or
> Nikon.

Pixel count is about the last thing that I look at these days.  To
give an example, I would rather have had a 3mp Canon D30 than my
5mp Sony DSC-F7x7 cameras.  The 5mp Sony produces nice prints, but
the noise is always there and always needs to be considered.  The
lower resolution D30 had a lot less noise and made nicer large
prints, even though there was less detail.

A lot of the 8mp Prosumer cameras have a great feature set, but I'd be
_more_ likely to buy them if they were 3 or 5mp cameras and had larger
pixels.

> There is a potential problem with gadgetry. It is one of "killer
> application" or "killer feature". It can be that the next generation
> of sensors or whatever tech there'd be then would cause many Friday FS
> e-mails on this list... Or in other words, until buying a DSLR is not
> going to be a good exercise in math...

There are going to have to be two sets of killer features before I
feel like it is time to ditch the *ist D.  It is always going to be a
nice backup body.

I didn't buy my *ist D expecting to save money though, I bought it
because I prefer to shoot digitally.  The bodys are already selling
for about $400-$500 less than I paid and I haven't shot $400-$500
worth of images with it (I've hardly shot any actually, it has
been a very busy fall and winter, and I do most of my shooting in
the spring and summer).

alex