Did somebody say that Minolta announced a DSLR in Maxxum mount at PMA?
Somehow I missed that, if so.  I've always felt that Minolta was the
Rodney Dangerfield of the camera industry.  They've always made
products with good specs and sensible designs and from what I've read
they, like Pentax, have a number of very fine "pro" lenses that very few
people buy.
Minolta has been fighting the good fight for a while (adding USM to
its lenses, new pro glass, etc) and the lack of a DSLR until now
surprised me.  I've been sorely tempted by the logical design of the
original Maxxum 9000, or the sexiness of the SRT101.  So far, limited
financial means and already owning two complete camera systems has
kept me from doing anything stupid.

Interesting to hear about the upgraded Kodak N14, but I don't think, as
somebody suggested, that it will hurt Nikon.  Quite the reverse.
The N14 has a Nikon lens mount and last I looked a body built by Nikon
based on the N80.  Nikon is presumably making money on the bodies, and
also by selling lenses to the N14 buyers.  It also gives a "Nikon" hi-res
DSLR option to compete with Canon 1Ds, although why Nikon has not come out
with a D2X of their own really puzzles me.

BTW the thrust of Nikon's "we take the world's greatest pictures" campaign
was that the majority of pros at the time (in certain fields) used Nikon,
and indeed many of the great images of the time were taken by pros
shooting Nikons.  Presumably, if the big guys trust the quality of Nikon,
you should too--that was the ad campaign anyway.  That's why the Canon
campaign that followed was "NOW, it's Canon".  At least as true, at the
time.  It's noticeable that Nikon introduced "light grey" lenses right
after a Canon campaign touting the visual predominance of their white
telephotos at major sporting events.

I can see Sigma making a 4/3 camera as well as 4/3 lenses.  The SD9 and
its successor SD10(?) didn't seem to do real well in the market, despite
having potentially better but underdeveloped foveon sensor technology.
Only taking Sigma-mount lenses probably had something to do with it.
If Sigma made a 4/3 camera they could also do something about the limited
lens line-up for the Olympus e-system and kill two birds with one stone.
4/3 looks like a bad idea in so many ways, yet the trend is ever to
smaller and cheaper...

What would I like to see from Pentax?  An extension of the FA limited
series into slightly more extreme focal lengths.  Some way to put
K-mount lenses on a $1000 DSLR.  Something more like a full-frame
sensor would probably be important if I were actually shooting
a *istD right now simply because the make-wider-lenses-for-smaller-sensors
game has its problems.  How 'bout a FA limited CAMERA to replace the
LX?

DJE