> Anyway, I've got several Pentax film bodies that are basically collecting
> dust at the moment.  I want to keep at least one film body around as a
> backup on trips in case something happens to the *ist-D.
>
> A PZ-20 is (was) my wife's main camera, and she does not want to sell it
> (for now).  I don't really like the camera that much, but she does and
> that's fine for the moment.
>
> I've got a LX and a Super Program and am trying decide which one to let
> go.  I know the LX is the better camera, but I also know that I'll be able
> to get more money for it.  The Super Program was my main camera for a
> number of years and have taken a number of great shots with it, so I have
> no problem keeping it either.  I've also thought about selling both, and
> pick up a MX for a totally manual backup solution.
>
> Any insight or advice?  Which film camera would you have to backup the *ist-D?

I shot an LX and 2 super programs professionally for about 5 years, for
yearbook and newspaper journalism.

If you've got a lot of A or newer lenses and use program or shutter
priority modes, I'd go with the Super Program just to support those.
Those lenses are happier on the *istD anyay.  If you've got Ks and Ms
or always shoot manual or aperture priority then this isn't an issue.

Otherwise, I'd keep the LX.  Pentax is discontinuing factory support on
them in 2006 (? or sooner?) and pretty much nobody else can fix them, so
the LX will be an orphan.  My experience is that as of the mid 1990s, the
Super Program was ALREADY an orphan in that I couldn't get parts for
repair.  I do find the LX a lot more durable, so if neither can be
repaired the LX comes out ahead here.

The MX is even worse (in my experience) in the getting repair parts and
service department, and a lot of MXen have basically been used up and are
unreliable.  The LX is probably built tougher and any given LX is almost
certainly newer.  The LX is also more capable.  Myself, I'd not dump the
LX and get an MX.  I don't think the smaller size of the MX outweighs
the potential problems.  Other folks will disagree with me on this.

Given the low resale value of the Super Program, you could always pick
up another one cheap if you decide you have to have it.  Finding another
LX will get trickier as there are fewer of them and people are less
inclined to part with them.

I've still got my LX.  I no longer have any of 4 super programs.

DJE