Tanya Mayer wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could get one of these things?  (The version for
> the MZ series?).  Sounds like they would be mighty uselful - for starters
> have had my MZ-50 for less than a year and already changed the $20 per
> battery more than three times!  (It should slow down a bit now that I have
> learnt how to shoot available light though!).....
>
> Tanya.

Was RTF invented by a battery manufacturer?  IMO the only merit of RTF is
that it's there.  It astounds me that anyone would seriously use one as
their flash unit of choice.  They are too close to the lens and cannot be
used off-camera or bounced.  Even if they could they would be too weak for
bouncing.  What they do well is to spec up the camera and jack up its price.
I wouldn't even consider one as a back-up if my off-camera unit failed,
there'd be another flashgun in my camera trunk (yes I use one of those big
deep aluminium trunks, they carry heaps and make a good seat, work-surface
or substitute stepladder).

The MZ-S would look much more purposeful and professional without that
pissant little RTF on top!  What prospective MZ-S owner wouldn't have the
$$$s for a decent flashgun, or even a crappy one?  What prospective MZ-S
owner would wish to be seen using such an entry level consumer targeted
gadget on an otherwise professional grade tool?

IMnsHO, RTF is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Regards,
Anthony Farr