My thanks to the organizers for the chance to comment. I had 3 terrific
pictures to look at, in which big and beautiful RED was the feature.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

" Strawberry " by  Kevin Thornsberry, USA

I imagine that this was a _really_ big strawberry since it's all in such
nice focus. The detail is wonderful--for the first time, I think, I realize
those little bumps are actually seeds, and some are riper than others. The
picture is rather formal: the marching seeds, and the leaf looks a bit
posed, but the overall effect I find pleasing and soothing; I'd love a print
of it on my kitchen wall. I wonder how this would have looked lit with a
spot rather than the fluorescent; it might have given the strawberry a more
tactile texture. What about a couple of glycerin "dewdrops"?

" RenCen " by  Bill Sawyer, USA

The more I look at this one the more I like it. I first thought of it as a
purely abstract composition, with a nice colour block and some related
tones. Then I began to wonder, What _is_ that red cylinder? So now it became
a much more interesting picture. The verticals and diagonals play off each
other very nicely. The only thing that doesn't fit so well in the muted
colour harmony is the bright beige light in the window on the right. This is
a picture I'd like to have taken, but don't think I know how to, yet. Bill,
what did you meter on to get such pleasing balance?

" Additional benefits! " by  Niall Woods

This is no ordinary close-up of a flower! It's actually very in your face; I
can hear it saying "You lookin' at ME?" The position in the frame is
perfect; I tried all sorts of crops, but it's best as is. I don't understand
where the light is coming from, or how you managed to get such a difference
between the highlight and shadow colour. In fact the shadow deep red looks
airbrushed on, expecially in the petals on the right. A great use of Velvia,
and a really satisfying picture. It would fit on my wall, next to the
strawberry.