Thanks for the link, Mike. I enjoyed watching his pictures immensly.
See also below.

From: "mike.wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> He's not at all famous and probably never will be.  But what he's done,
> for me, eclipses the works of "greater" photographers.  He lived in the
> community, the community funded his photography by buying his pictures
> and he has documented in great detail a tiny part of British culture
> that has now disappeared.
>
> I suspect that there are many others who have done this but only a few,
> like Frank Sutcliffe as well as Doisneau, gain any recognition and that
> is often by accident.  Much of the work done by these people ends up
> lost, destroyed or dispersed.  I also suspect that applying the word
> "style" to his work would amuse him.  He was never anything but
> extremely poor (during his active photographic life) and his work looks
> the way it does due to his use of whatever was available at the time.
> Paradoxically, he is probably now (still alive, last I heard) richer
> than he has ever been, although I think he has had to give up working
> due to failing eyesight.
> mike

Sorry for the long quote, but I just like hearing this kind of down to earth relation
of an important photographical achievement.

At
http://www.amber-online.com/gallery/exhibition19/notes19.html

Jimmy Forsyth:
"Plans were in the air for knocking Scotswood Road down. When they knocked down the
Infirmary in 1954 a curious crowd gathered to watch. It was then that I realised
someone should make a record of what was left of the community. For posterity's sake.
I had nothing to do, why not make a record of Scottie Road to pass the time? It would
show future generations what we looked like and how we lived.

I wonder how I ever made the pictures, I was only on a couple of pounds Assistance
then.
Anyway, I picked up a cheap folding camera in one of the pawn shops. There wasn't much
to adjust, just as well, because I've never known what to do. I still can't understand
exposures and things like depth of field after all these years, not really. I'm just
an amateur, I was never interested in photography, not really.
When you're taking a photography you're recording something that will never happen
again, catching a moment in time, I was just capturing what I knew was going to
disappear.
People say to me today, "How did you get all those fancy shades?" but I wasn't looking
for fancy shades, I was just taking what was there, the things I was interested in and
the things I liked, and tried to make them look real. All the developing was done at
the chemist's. I could only afford contact prints. I had to wait twenty years before I
ever saw the negatives enlarged or printed properly.' "

Lasse