The mode dial is very important when you have a lens w/o an aperature
ring, like th FAJ or DA series.  In a simaler way, you need to set it to
manual or it won't let you change the Tv and Av separately using the
dials.  (I also like the MZ-S layout, but I'm getting hooked on those Tv
and Av dials.)    And, of course, the green button is usded for metering
with M/K lenses but that's an afterthought.  The interfac emakes more
sense when you realize that Pentax built it with the FAJ/DA lenses in
mind.  Oddly, I don;t find the green button that badly placed, right
near my shutter finger.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 02/26/04 01:55AM >>>
I agree about the MZ-S interface. On the *istD I don't actually mind
the wheels to change the shutter speed and aperture, although I wish I
could swap them to match the logical layout of the MZ-S. What I can't
see the point of is the Mode selection dial. Other than for the Green
mode which I'll never use, it's totally redundant. Just do the same as
on the MZ-S - Press the green botton to reset to Program mode, chang the
shutter speed and your in TV, or change the aperture and you're in AV.
Change both and you're in Manual. Press the green button and it's back
to Program. Why the dial? Perhaps I'll find out as I use it.