I love it when things come together...

Yesterday the postal service jeep pulled up into the driveway and the mail carrier brought two packages. One was the 6x7 system I bought from a list member, which includes the 6x7 w/ MLU, standard (non-ttl) finder, and a 105 f2.4 and 150 f2.8 lens. The other package held the 55 f4 I bought off ebay last week.

I had some Tri-X 120 on hand, so after reading through the manual, I loaded up the camera. It was late afternoon so I popped over the the graveyard down the street to stake some test exposures. Working with the 6x7 is certainly a more methodical, slower paced process than either 35mm or digital.

Once I had 10 shots, I came home, mixed up some chemistry (it's been months since I did some B&W developing) and processed the roll. I scanned them on a Microtek scanner - not very good (especially since it has no film holders so the negs have to lay right on the glass.) But, marginally OK for web use. The scans are much softer than the negs viewed through a loupe.

A couple of out-takes:

http://www.markcassino.com/paw/6702.jpg
http://www.markcassino.com/paw/6704.jpg

I was a little concerned about the 55 f4, since I bought the 6x7 55 f4, not the 67 55 f4. The lens I have seems to get really mixed reviews on the internet, but my preliminary tests show it to be right on par with the 105 f2.8. Did not get much chance to use the 150...

While I was processing the Tri-X the UPS truck stopped by and left a box full of 120 film on my front porch. Earlier in the week I was pleasantly surprised to find that Reala is very reasonably priced, so I ordered 10 rolls, plus some T-Max 100 and just a couple of rolls of slide film. Can't wait to get going with this!

- MCC

-----

Mark Cassino Photography

Kalamazoo, MI