If I am correct, it has the same design as A*200/4 & F*300/4.5 where the adaptor is tightened using 2 screws. It is not exactly a collar so it would never be as solid as one. The issue has also been mentioned in one of the Japanese lens reviiew which indicated the tripod adaptor for the FA*80-200/2.8 was weak. I believe, however, the newer lenses like FA*200/4 & FA*400/5.6 have fixed adaptors so they do not have this issue.

Regards,
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

i had a close look and test of my tripod mount collar on my FA* 80-200 f2.8.
it's not very solid. the connection from the foot of the mount to the tripod
head is a lot more solid. the collar has lots of play in it, a lot more than
i like when shooting for highest sharpness, especially when there is some
wind. also, it means that when i am moving the camera on the ball head, i
have to hold the mounting foot to move the camera if i don't want some
return when i let go of the lens. the movement is substantial at 200mm,
almost 1/4 of the frame vertically if i am lifting up on the front of lens
via the focusing collar. how are the other FA* lenses in this regard? are
the F* and A* lenses with tripod collar mounts any better? the Sigma 50-500
has a much more solid connection to the lens. if only it were brighter and
sharper.

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca