Without surprise consider the focusing mechanisms of most FA lenses (including some * lenses) were designed and manufactured to be loose so they could AF faster. If the glasses can move up & down, they can't be perfectly calibrated, or can they???

Regards,
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

Personally, I see a lot of variability in lens evaluations among lenses that are optically identical - like the F 50's (1.7 and 1.4) seem to rated higher than the A and FA counterparts. Similarly, the 100 f2.8 macro seems to be consistently regarded as slightly better than the FA 100 f2.8 in tests, though these lenses should be identical in all ways except internal electronics and cosmetics. I have no idea what could account for the differences, though the factors you mention may play a roll.

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca