I see it this way:
A photograph, video, newspaper story, book or story is a statement made by human beings. The statements are no more reliable than the person that made them.

I agree with you in that digital is a good thing, because it makes the manipulative aspects of a photograph more obvious. We are becoming more aware that a photograph may not tell the truth, but some of us know that it never has.

One of my grandmothers was a photographer before 1940. I believe she knew a lot more about retouching than we do...

DagT