Robert,

  The Dual III has good dynamic range and generally it copes very well
  with most slides. I've scanned several brands and always got the
  entire range from the deepest shadows to the lightest highlights,
  especially if you use it's 16 bit linear colour profile. The same
  goes for b/w negatives - the tone range is entirely covered. On the
  other hand the bundled Twain driver performs so poorly with colour
  negative films down to the point of being almost unusable. You'll
  have to recourse to a third party for these. The sharpness is
  excellent, the focus control as well. Of course if you can afford go
  for the Elite as the IR channel boosts a lot the productivity (the
  software de-speck in Dual III driver is useless for large
  enlargements). As for the Dual IV it seems it only brings 3200 dpi
  vs. 2800. Good luck to your friend.

  Servus,  Alin