My thanks to Chris, James, and Frits for their generous and useful comments
on "Crow Walking". Just a couple of notes:
This was frame 37 and I was too cold to change film. I kept trying but my
hands wouldn't cooperate. Frits is right, I can imagine better composition.
I was constrained by where I could put the tripod; the snow was deep and I
couldn't go off the beaten path with it.
Also, that isn't the bench's shadow; there were no shadows. That's a
concrete pad that the bench was bolted to, so I couldn't move it even if I
had been smart enough to see the shot that Frits suggested.
But no excuses: although I like the picture, one day, I hope, I'll take a
better one. Thanks.
John C.

<snip>
> " Crow walking " by  John Cohen, USA
>       This is my favorite this month.  The contrast is distinct
> and keeps the segments of the image discernable.

<snip>
Yes, this picture sure got my attention as well, I like it also very much. I
do want to ad some criticism, just my view, take no offence. (And I did say
I like it).
The bench is facing directly to the left, directly out of the picture. It
would have been nicer if it was facing to the right, and guiding the viewer
into the frame, but you obviously don't want to move it around and disturb
the snow by doing that. Also the shadow falls out of the frame, which I
dislike a bit. Now, I don't know the situation, but suppose you had space
around you and the crow would co-operate by staying where it is: you walk to
the left, and then the bench is in the right of the frame facing the desired
direction, the shadow would be visible in the picture, and hopefully the
crow would be in the left part of the picture and you would still have that
nice background. I think it would made a more balanced picture.

Frits.