> From: "Leon Altoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> As with most of the people on this list (or so it seems) I am becoming
> to rely more and more on my *istD over my film based cameras.  One of
> the major problems I have with it though is dust on the CCD.  Most of
> the time I can blow this off and I just have to reshoot a few shots.
> Last time I had to send it away overnight while CR Kennedy cleaned it
> for me - they did a good job, but I hate being without something I rely
> on.

If you rely on it, buy another one.  While expensive, this is cheaper
than the cost of not having one when you need it.

> Particularly when I am away for 4 days with not enough Kodachrome
> to cover everything.
>
> I would like to hear from anyone who has bought and used the cleaning
> swabs that Nikon recommend for the same sensor in their cameras.  Did
> it work?

Last I heard Nikon expressly DID NOT recommend sensor swabs for cleaning
the CCDs on their cameras--you are supposed to send it to a Nikon repair
facility...

In 6 months of heavy use on a Nikon D1h, I have not had any dust problems
that were not cured with a quick application of canned air.  I do practice
good discipline about keeping a body cap on the camera, pointing the
camera down when changing lenses, etc.

> Did you scratch the CCD and end up with an expensive repair
> you are too embarrased to talk about?

At worst you'd scratch the anti-aliasing filter in front of the CCD, which
is probably still an expensive repair but nothing like the kind of trauma
involved in replacing the actual CCD.

DJE