I have heard a lot of quibbling about mirror lockup being a timer element
only on this list as well as others over time.  I agree that the real thing
would be better and I'm not exactly quite sure why they don't do that as I
don't see why it's so hard to do.  However in reality when I consider this,
I don't feel that mirror lockup is of any use to begin with unless your on a
tripod and using a release since hand holding or even touching the camera
would probably cause more movement then the internal mirror function.  After
I go through all this I am most likely setting up for a still shot that
isn't moving or moment critical to begin with.  In a studio the shot is
often shot with a soft lens to begin with and at close range so again the
mirror lockup doesn't seem critical.  The only situation that comes to mind
is if you were set up for wildlife at long range and trying to catch a
moment there.

My point after beating around the bush all day is in reality, how many times
does the absence of true mirror lockup vs. timed mirror lock really hinder
your chances of getting the shot correctly.  I don't mean hypothetically,
but rather real time experiences that you have actually encountered and
either regretted not having it or really did need the true mirror lock
feature.  Personally I love the 2 second timer feature as it means not
having to dig out or carry the release and I'm probably more likely to
actually use it because of the same reason.

Not arguing that the true thing isn't better, just really curious.  So
educate me here ok... :).

Dave

>>> mirror lock-up (of a sort) <<
>
>I was under the impression that the KX was one of the only two Pentax
>models to ever have true mirror lock-up (the other one is the LX).

Nope, the K2 has manual mirror lock-up too.