On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > * They like the small size
>
> It's got competition there, if perhaps not equally-featured competition.
> I can also understand the desire for small size.  My girlfriend really
> likes the *istD because it fits her hands well.  I have a bit of trouble
> handling the thing, although the makes-it-heavier grip might help.

What competition do we have for a small D-SLR with a high build
quality?  There is nothing as small as the *ist D.  The 300D is the
closest and is not in the same category of camera.

I like the small size because it makes it easier for me to carry the
camera more often.  I shoot most of my photographs while hiking
(backpacking) or on vacation.  In both cases I don't want to be
carrying around a 3lb body with a large collection of glass.

I bought my ZX-5n in 1995 largely because it was compact and I could
carry it and a couple of lenses in a small amount of space (I also
really liked the classic UI).  The *ist D is not as compact, but it is
the closest thing that I can get now.

> > I expect that if you ask most members of this list why they bought
> > a Pentax SLR in the first place that those would be two common answers.
> > The other is probably the quality of lenses.
>
> IMHO Pentax has NOTHING on the other guys here, although it may
> well give you better quality for the same price and have more
> useful gradations in price/quality (Canon seems to have no "middle level"
> lenses).

The middle level lenses are a huge advantage when you are going for
smaller.  I'd much rather have a constant f4 zoom of high quality than
a constant f2.8 zoom that weighs 2-3x as much.

I like that Pentax makes mid-level lenses which are high quality but
not necessarily super fast.  The 28-70/4, 16-45/4, and 24-90/3.5-4.5
are all good examples of this in modern zooms.  The 50/1.7, 24/2.8,
35/2, and 135/3.5 that I own are good examples in primes.

> > I personally wouldn't a Canon tomorrow if all of my gear was stolen.
> > The cameras and lenses are big and I don't like their UI.
>
> I'll tolerate big, expensive gear if it gives me capabilities that I need
> and cannot get elsewhere.  Not all Canon gear is big and heavy either,
> although perhaps all of it worth owning is.

Again, it sounds like we shoot in different situtations.  If I shot in a
studio or carried all of my gear in a car then I would have different
preferences.  I typically am carrying my gear by hand (or occasionally
by bicycle) and size and weight are very big concerns.

alex