> On 17 Mar 2004 at 4:30, John Francis wrote:
>
> > This year, of course, I had the opportunity to try the *ist-D.
> >
> >     <http://panix.com/~johnf/paw/thriller.jpg>
> >
> > There was a little more foreground than I really liked in the
> > full-frame shot, but I was somewhat restricted in where I could
> > rest the camera to capture this, which is a half-second exposure
> > at f8 (at ISO 400), taken without a tripod, monopod, or even a
> > bean-bag.  So I just cropped off the bottom quarter.
>
> The colour looks is rich and natural, do you find the *ist D offers better
> performance than colour film when shooting low light images like this?

Most of the fairground colours are either the bright, rich, saturated
reds and yellows of the lights on the rides, or the well lit midways
(high-intensity floodlights as used on highway maintenance towers),
so I haven't found colour to be a problem on any film I've tried.
The overall light balance is pretty close to daylight.

What I liked about the *ist-D (apart from the smooth, low-noise blacks)
was the ability to see what did and didn't work immediately.  I first
tried this shot with a rather faster exposure.  Not only did this not
blur the spinning drum quite enough - it didn't catch all the blinking
lights in the big "THRILLER" sign.  So I simply switched to a slower
shutter speed (and dialed back the ISO - another nice *ist-D capability)
and tried again.