On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:43:31 EST, you wrote:

>SB> I changed the crop a bit, burnt down some bright areas, and
>SB> adjusted the toning.  Comments welcome, of course.
>
>SB> Adjusted version:
>SB> http://home.earthlink.net/~scbelinkoff/images/tres-2.html
>
>SB> Original version:
>SB> http://home.earthlink.net/~scbelinkoff/images/tres-s.html
>
>Hmmm, strange reaction on my part, I actually like the first one better. Went
>back and forth to see why. Like line of wood (cabinet, door?) down the right
>side. Don't know why, specifically.
>
>Marnie aka Doe

I like the first one better, also.  The paper on the door or wall or
whatever it is to the right, plus the headroom adding ceiling height
above the stacked cans on the back wall, give size perspective to the
boys - they are boys without a doubt, naturally smaller but small in
perfect ratio to the other visual cues of the shop.

When the door is cropped, that piece of paper is removed, the ceiling
height reference above the stacked cans removed, the boys become
indeterminate in age and size, or maybe their size becomes incongruous
with the other size hints in the scene.  The reference that guides one
to their height is gone.  Their height is no longer in natural ratio
to the other objects in the shop.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com