On Thursday, August 23, 2001, at 03:13 AM, Alan Chan wrote:

My dilemma is this:
- should I stay with Pentax, or go with Nikon (I'm leaning towards a used F4)

If I remember correctly, F4 was said to be the greatest manual focus camera ever. Yes, you read it correctly, I said manual focus. The first Nikon with good AF was F90 if I am not mistaken, and F90X which was a hugely successful model, then the F5 & F100. The F801s which I had, had inferior AF to the Z-1p, and I would expect the same for previous models. My friend's F90X has slightly better AF than my Z-1p, but for some reason it also produces very annoying noise during AF.

Yes. A friend had the F90 when it first came out, and loved the AF in it. I guess I was mistaken on my assumptions for the F4 then.

Why bother Pentax or Nikon then? Why not go Canon to enjoy full USM & IS capability? You would be fooling yourself to believe Z-1p or MZ-S offer the same AF ability as high end Canon. Being able to use IS without tripod is a big plus as well.

I've never really liked Canon. Not sure why; I've used them, but then again only the lower grade stuff such as the Rebel X. Perhaps an EOS-1 might be better? Can anyone comment on the EOS-1 AF, or point me to some resources?