On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:13:06 -0600, you wrote:

>OTOH, as soon as you are working directly with a client, often the
>larger camera garners instant respect.
>This, in turn, can actually lead to better photos, as it is one more
>thing that puts the client at ease about the job.
>
>William Robb

Sometimes larger relates to a useful accessory, like a battery
grip/winder, or the added bulk required for a built-in vertical
release.  In my story, 'big' related mostly to a Stroboframe flash
bracket, and I think bigger really was better.

My daughter hired a student photog for her wedding. I showed up at the
rehearsal with PZ1p and AF500FTZ on a Stroboframe flash bracket, with
the curly cord between flash and hotshoe jiggling little exclamation
points each time I lifted this big rig.  The student photog showed up
with a Canon Rebel or Elan, I forget which, but I noticed he had no
flash except the pop-up one. Yuck.  I was worried she would get
nothing but red-eye snapshots instead of wedding photos.

But to his credit he went out that afternoon and bought a decent flash
and Stofen attachment, which he used to good effect for the wedding
photos the next day.  He told my daughter that my camera ("your dad's
big pro camera") shamed him into springing for the flash he already
knew he needed.

As it turned out, he had some training, a good attitude and way with
people, a list of required shots, and some knowledge of posing and
lighting.  His photos turned out okay, not as perfect as a pro with
more experience, but much better than I expected, considering my first
impression of his 'small' camera.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com