It's funny, you learn this by having an MX or LX, at least I did, the offending matter may be on the reverse side
of the focusing screen. In a camera with a removable focusing screen it's a relitively simple matter to clean
the back side of the screen. Otherwise it's a pain. (On the LX you can get dust between the prizim and the
body, but that's another story).

Tanya Mayer Photography wrote:

I am having problems with dust and hair looking bits being visible in both
the viewfinder of my *istD and one of my Z-20's.  I have blown them out with
compressed air, but to with no avail.  I am not sure if it is on the mirror
or the pentaprism - any suggestions?  I know that it doesn't affect the
image that comes through the lens, but it is a pain in the butt to look at
when I am shooting!

tia,
tan.