Yeah, but jpg doesn't record pixels like that.  What you suggest could
work with a bitmap, but a jpg is different.  Don't ask me the techie
details, but I think of it as recording a start position, colour value,
then the number of adjacent pixels of that colour.  So building up a
picture means it is necessary to decode the whole file.  Progressive
jpgs obviously work a bit differently - perhaps recrding 2 images with
alternate rows in each image, then interlacing them?

Anyways, what you say is not easy or perhaps even possible for a
standard jpg...