Black and White film begins to build up fog, color film begins to show color shifts (usually towards magenta). Safety isn't really a factor. If the film hasn't been stored in excessive heat or has been refrigerated then it should
show no noticeable signs of deterioration well after it's expiration date. A trained sensitive eye may or may not
detect a difference.

Feroze Kistan wrote:

Hi All,

What exactly happens to film when it expires? At what point is it still safe
to put in your camera? I have a good few rolls of Ilford Delta 100 that
expired in June 2003, can I still use it?

Feroze