OK. Thanks.

My notebook has 2 PCMCIA slots and USB 1.1.  I probably should be asking which
of those two is faster.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of John Francis
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 12:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A RAW question...

> How does the speed on a PCMCIA adapter compare to firewire speed?

Much slower.  A 1GB microdrive takes something like 20 mins to copy to my
notebook (not quite as fast a system as my desktop box, but still a fairly
reasonable system - it's a 2.4GHz P4 HP pavilion). As noted, the firewire
transfer runs about 3x or 4x that speed, and that's limited by the transfer
speed of the Microdrive.  With a fast CF card transfer speeds should be
significantly higher.

At present I'm wondering whether to buy a USB adapter (only worth it if I've got
USB 2.0 on the notebook, which I don't think I do), go for the firewire option
with an external power cable adapter (rather silly, because the power supply is
much larger than the CF reader), or just live with the PCMCIA adapter speeds
(awkward, especially if I've got the wireless card plugged into the other PCMCIA
slot).