That's exactly what I've done for years, ever since reading this advice in
the late 70s from Modern Photography's film expert, whose name was
something like Rothbard. He routinely dialed in 2/3 additional exposure to
help ensure saturation and detail.

I often forget to add exposure when shooting into a mildly backlit
condition or one where a bright sky dominates. So if I feel the roll will
be used mostly for grab shots, it's not uncommon for me to shoot 800 ISO
film at +1.33 stops, or ISO 330. Never had any problems with excessive
contrast.

Aaron Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a customer who routinely push processes Portra 160VC for effect.
His results are excellent...quite poppy colour, but not overcontrasty.
Here's the catch: he does NOT underexpose the film!  He actually
overexposes it by about a stop and a half (I think he said he rates it
at ISO 50).  This gives him a very clean white highlight, almost blocked
up, and the "push" processing lowers the contrast enough that the final
result is more printable.

- -Aaron

Paul Franklin Stregevsky