I am sure the data recorded is different.  I think this is because the
analog signal is subject to more gain 'pre-digitisation'(!).  I cant
think of a tehnical reason, but I am sure that this results in a
better/cleaner picture than if you shot at a lower ISO and just
lightened it in PS for example.  Positive that the techies here will
provide the accurate reasons why, and maybe we will understand them.
Even if we don't, logic suggests that you would be better off shooting
at the ISO you need for correct exposure rather than boosting later -
they wouldn't bother with an ISO setting otherwise.

http://www.markcassino.com

-----