Ok now I'm getting a bit confused.  Could someone clarify a few points for
me please.  I currently use the AF360FGZ on the PZ-1p and PZ-1 as well as
with some older cameras.  I liked the fact that it is supposed to be
completely backward compatible with all Pentax cameras.  I am aware that
this flash uses only standard TTL with these units and automatically
switches to P-TTL with the newer ones.  However I was under the impression
that standard auto flash and manual were still available with all the
cameras that were supposed to support this function including the *istD.  Is
this right?  I bought the AF360FGZ with the idea that it would be more
compatible with future Pentax cameras that might come my way plus it has
slave, wireless, and high speed sync with the appropriate cameras.  I
realize that the AF360FGZ is not the most powerful flash on the market, but
thought it should be sufficient for my needs going by the guide number.

When using the auto and manual functions does the auto zoom head function
properly on autofocus cameras?  Also what types of camera metering function
with which flash functions?  I have normally shot multisegment metering with
flash in the past and have had really good results thus far.  However I
haven't used my Pentax gear that much with flash.  I have usually been using
my Minolta gear for this need.  I did have to use my PZ-1 as a backup camera
one time at a wedding reception as my Minolta with the lens I was using was
having some major focus problems with the lighting conditions.  A bit of
experimentation later proved it was a lens problem and not the body.
However using the PZ-1 that night impressed me greatly on how well it was
locking on focus quickly without a great deal of searching.  I didn't even
have a external flash with me and had to use the on camera popup unit.  I
still got some great shots that were properly exposed with this handicap.  I
wish I would have had an external flash with to compare the results.

Since I have a much better lens line up in Pentax, I have been strongly
considering dumping the Minolta equipment to buy a *istD.  However this
thread is making me really wonder about the wisdom of this decision.
Minolta is supposed to also be releasing a DSLR based on their "7" model.
One of it's strong points is image stabilization, but I'm not feeling I need
that function all that badly.  I strongly suspect this will be out of my
price tag zone and hate to give up my Pentax equipment to finance such a
move.  The questions surrounding P-TTL flash and this coming camera are
being highly debated in their camp as well.  The general consensus is that
no one wants to have to use it and give up standard TTL flash which is
highly accurate in their cameras, but fear that P-TTL will be required for
digital flash.  Right now the P-TTL can be controlled with either not by not
using the "D" series lenses.  They are also afraid that the "D" series lens
will be required for flash use.  Some of the Minolta camp is jumping ship to
Canon to avoid the P-TTL, but I thought Canon used it too?  Anyone know what
the status of Nikon is with P-TTL?

I feel that using multi segment metering or at the very least center
weighted metering is very important to me for candid type shots.  When
setting up a formal posed situation all the manual ideas are great and nice
to be able to work towards whatever idea you have in mind.  However when
doing candid shots such at a wedding reception things are happening very
fast.  I just don't see myself having the time to consider all the valid
points of lighting existing in the situation and making the corresponding
manual adjustments.  I really need the camera computers to figure this out
for me so I can get the shot and not still be there trying to figure it all
out after the moment has passed.  Maybe this is a so called Point and
Shooter viewpoint, but I would rather get the shot and debate the "should
haves" afterwards.  I am aware the *istD will default to P-TTL, but will
auto flash be available with the AF360FGZ, or will I have to use an older fl
ash to get this function?

Confused again!

Dave

----------------------
My Metz 60 CT-2 has measured to within ± 1/10 of a stop, at ranges
from 6 feet or so right out to around 25 feet with it's built in
sensor.
This is an amply accurate range for wedding/ general photography. When
running it in TTL with the LX, the exposures were within a stop most
of the time, but sometimes about 15 stops under because of the
ongoing meter fault that all three of my LX have.
The istD has just about the worst TTL flash control I have seen, I
doubt if it is within ± 1 stop.
It is certainly not accurate enough for the recording medium.
On the nice side, the istD has a PC socket, so auto flash is easily
done.

William Robb