On 22/4/04, ANNSAN, discombobulated, offered:

>Is this something that has always been a problem
>with video technology or
>is it (a) just since the digital revolution
> and   (b) only something to worry about in MOVING
>images?

AFAIK it's just peculiar to images displayed on a Cathode Ray Tube,
moving or still and can appear due to two identical patterns not exactly
matched up when displayed on a scanning TV screen (CRT). Hence, a noisy
pattern on a jacket that displays the Moire effect on the CRT screen will
not display it when printed out onto paper. The reason is that on the
paper, there is only one image. On the TV screen there are two -
interlaced, appearing together. The critical line-up sometimes cannot be
achieved between the two interlaced images and the 'strobing' effect -
the Moire patterning - results. I'm not sure if it can happen on an LCD
screen, I don't think so but I could be wrong. I'm not a tecchy, but can
find out.

This page may or may not help to understand:

<http://www.mathematik.com/Moire/>

HTH

Cheers,
  Cotty