Bruce Dayton  wrote:
>Thursday, April 22, 2004, 12:14:19 PM, you wrote:
>
>MR> http://www.robertstech.com/graphics/pages/7d400839.htm
>
>MR> Mark Cassino (I think) suggested this shot would be better if it
>MR> included all of the heron's toes. I pulled it out of the slide mount
>MR> and, sure enough, the toes were there! I re-scanned it and darkened the
>MR> sky as someone else suggested.
>
>This looks very nice.  I would have liked to have a side by side
>comparison to see what you did.  I really like this one.

Here's the original:
http://www.robertstech.com/temp/7d400839.jpg

For the new version I scanned the slide at 16-bit color depth and then
made two copies. The first copy I darkened until the sky looked the way
I wanted it. The other I lightened until the bird looked right (and even
though I used fill flash I had to brighten up the lighter parts of the
bird some more). Then I resampled both files down to 8-bit color (so
that I could use layers - Photoshop 7 won't do layers in 16-bit mode)
and pasted the brightened bird and wire onto the darkened sky. It took
quite a bit of fiddling about to get the blend just right. Finally, even
though the full-frame slide did have his toes included, there was a
*bit* of one toe cropped off. I added some sky at the bottom of the
frame to get the extra space I needed and then cloned the end of another
toe, mirrored it and grafted it on the cropped toe. (I guess that's why
they call it "digital".)

Pentax MZ-S, Kodak E100SW, Sigma EX300/2.8 APO with matched Sigma 2x
teleconverter.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing