I wrote:

> Gamma (also written as the infinity
> symbol, IIRC) .........

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!  Shame on me for not checking, and shame on
list-members who should have known and didn't spot my mistake.

Gamma is written as.... the Greek letter gamma, of course.  Sort of like a
handwritten "y" but with a loop in the tail.

I wonder how many other goofups I'll need to correct.

In reply, John Francis wrote:

> And what about those of us who spotted it, but didn't consider it
> worth correcting a minor error in a parenthetical aside?  It's not
> as if this was particularly germane to the central discussion.

John,

Considering other factual errors I have made that have been corrected
promptly, I was surprised that nobody mentioned this one.  I did assume that
some of us would be familiar with the terms, but it never entered my head
that anyone recognising the error would let it pass uncommented.

I should be grateful that I got to make my own correction, but I'm sorry if
it seemed I thought nobody else ~knew~ the correct symbol for gamma.  A mix
of sleep deprivation and overmedication for an autumn flu, led to my
omission of the all forgiving smiley.  That's one more goofup to add to my
tally.

regards,
Anthony Farr