On 10 Apr 2001, at 18:56, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Paul Stregevsky wrote:
> > The Vivitar is said to be very sharp even wide open...a claim that even
> the
> > SMC 135/1.8A* cannot make.
>
> Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
>
> > This lens is sharp wide open and more importantly it is consistent edge
> > edge (check Photodo to confirm the WO MTF graph).
>
> 1996-2000 quotations in support of less-than-excellent sharpness wide open:

Hi Paul,

I can see where the basis for your comments are borne, however I suspect
your initial comment is a little misleading (and my previous answer
inappropriate) given that the only real comparison that can be made WO is
with the Zenit 135/1.8 MC that you mentioned in your previous list. How does
the Zenit stand up against the Pentax f1.8 WO? I expect that comparing the
f1.8 at the maximum aperture of the lenses to which it was being compared
would lead you to different conclusions.

Back to the issue at hand "Reasonable price for A* 1.8 135mm" sheer luck
combined with a seller with no idea of the current market values will be the
most likely way that one of these lenses can be obtained at a reasonable
price.

BTW my personal tests (real world shots on K25) between the Pentax
SMCPA*138f1.8 vs the CZ 138f2.8 and CZ 135f2 lenses proved the Pentax to
be the clear winner even against the CZ135f2.8 WO. I had to use a 40x
microscope to spot the differences however. Both the CZ lenses are touted
to be no slouches performance wise WO, but I have since sold both.

I checked my lenses and your information regarding minimum focus is
correct, I have wished I that I had 4 feet min foc instead of 5 feet more than
once :-)

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA