The other day I was noticing that, as I put weight on my bogen 3221 tripod
(*ist D, Sigma 300/4 and 1.4x TC and StudioBall QR) one of the upper leg
sections was loose.  The tripod was sinking below me.  So I went home, got a
socket wrench and tightened the locking mechanism.  Well, after a turn or
two I heard a loud "POP!" and that was the end of that.  The clamp thingy
had cracked.  Strangely enough, the tripod still holds the camera and lens
without moving, but I can't put pressure on it to steady it.

So I bought a new tripod.  A 3021B Pro.  While I was at it, I ordered the
foam leg protector things as well.  Oh, and since I was in a money spending
mood I ordered a 681B Monopod with 3232 swivel head.  Oh and I needed a QR
base plate for the monopod too so I bought a StudioBall QR base.  And then I
remembered that Kirk had new QR plates for the D so I got one of those too
(for the D-BG1 to be exact).

The tripod, monopod and accessories arrived in a day or two and I am more
than happy with them.  I've never used a monopod before so it is taking some
getting used to, but so far so good.  I am going to the zoo Sunday and it
will get a workout there.

As for the foam tripod leg things, well, the tripod is already padded so I
don't need them. So they are for sale:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162680&is=REG

Bogen 3430 Tripod Leg Protectors fits 3011, 3021 and 3401 Tripods.  I'm sure
they will fit any tripod with the same upper leg section dimensions as those
indicated.  Brand new, never used, but not in original packaging US$25.00
plus shipping.  International is fine too.

Christian