----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Spiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The published resolution tests are not very useful for wide angle lenses.
> These tend to have more field curvature, and their close distance
> performance is not good in the corners for flat objects, such as the test
> targets in resolution tests (which are at less than 2 meters distance from
> the camera).   Thus, the 35mm f/2 has a low resolution rating in the
corner
> in the resolution tests.  However, my real world tests for subjects at
> infinity shows that its corner performance is if anything better than the
> 50mm lenses, which score higher in the resolution tests.
>
> These tests can be found linked to my home page at
> http://ca.geocities.com/spirope/photopage.htm

Why should lens manufacturers be excused for letting so much curvature of
field occur that corner resolution at close distances and large apertures is
compromised?  Besides, 1-2 metres is not such a small distance for a WA
lens.

A lens would be damned for any other optical defect, so why not for this?
Field flatness at all distances is a worthwhile goal for any lens to
achieve.

Anyway, is there some convention that prevents a lens from being focussed in
the corners when corner resolution is being tested?  Was there a desire to
only use one frame of film at each aperture being checked?

Regards,
Anthony Farr