Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: "Sometimes, in writing,
people confuse Kodak Supra with Fuji Superia, which does come in 200. It
happens all the time on rec.photo.film+labs. Both are color negative films,
but Supra is a professional film made for photojournalists. Professional
color negative films generally skip ISO 200 because the grain is close to
ISO 400 (although some portrait films come in ISO 160)."

Years ago, I telephoned a one-hour lab in a mall and asked the saleswoman
whether they sold EktaPress 1600 color print film.

"Sir," she replied, "Kodak doesn't make Ektapress in 1600. Just 100 and
400."

"No, that's not true," I explained; "Ektapress 1600 has been my standard
film for about three years."

"Sir, you're mistaken. There is no Ektapress 1600."

A year later (1991), I called a local branch of a well-known camera-store
chain. "Do you have any used Olympus OM-4T cameras?" I asked.

"No, sir, we don't. But you must keep in mind that that camera just
recently came out. You're not gonna find many used samples on the market
for some time."

"That's not true," I replied, "The OM4-T came out in 1985." (or maybe I
said '86)

"Sir," the salesman replied condescendingly, "It came out this year. But if
you want to believe it came out in 1985, it came out in 1985."

He had no idea what he was in for.

"EXCUSE ME, I fumed. "I am sitting at my desk with a folder labeled
'Olympus OM4-T.' In it are cover stories from Modern Photography, Popular
Photography, Peterson's Photographic, and Shutterbug, all introducing the
OM4-T, all from 1985. Don't tell ME it just came on the market!"

"Oh."

Oh, indeed!

My sister was a sales rep for a large pharmaceuticals firm. I asked her how
she would reply--or has replied--when a customer insists that something is
true when my sister was 100 percent certain it was false.

Her reply: "I would probably reply, "Oh, really? I wasn't aware of that;
I'll have to look into it. Thank you for calling that to my attention."

Does it really take a Ph.D in Customer Relations to know that this is the
only way to treat a customer?

Paul Franklin Stregevsky