From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 15 May 2004 1:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Ever had one of those days......

...... where you wonder if you are actually speaking the same language as the local minilab operators?

I called at my local Blacks store to pick up some "gift" items, a mousemat
and a t-shirts, which I had ordered.
I had dropped off a digital file, sized to the aspect ratio of the mousemat
(approx 5:4) and of sufficient resolution to print at 8x10. The t-shirt uses
the same ratio.
I glanced at the t-shirt, in its packet, and thought "the quality of that
picture doesn't look too good" and made a mental not to bother ordering
t-shirts
again. Then the girl opened up the package with the mousemat to show me how
it looked. Same impression. Then I looked again. The top and bottom of the
image had been cut off and there was a part of the mat where there was no
transfer (top and bottom, of course!). I pointed this out and noticed that
the same cropping had occured on the t-shirt. Oh yes, she replied. That's
how the 4x6 we printed turned out. It wouldn't fit on the paper, so we had
to crop it.  4x6? I queried. Why did you print a 4x6? What do they do with
it?
Oh, they scan it  to put on the t-shirt, she says.

Can anyone see where this is leading?

I provide a nice big  digital file. They print it nice and small at an
aspect
ratio which no longer fits on the item I'm ordering. The place which puts
the design on the "thing" then scans said print and ~enlarges it~ back to
the size it originally was but with a bit missing and at much diminished
quality.

Then they wonder why I refuse the goods and also refuse to pay for the two
4x6s I didn't ask for which they printed !!
I also tried, in vain, to explain that if in future they wish to print a
4x6 then they should at least print it so that the height is 4" and leave
white space at the left and right as the image is going to be transferred
to an item with a white background. I couldn't make her understand this
concept
at all. <sigh>

Sorry about the rant. Just felt I had to get it off my chest and I knew
you'd
all understand <g>

Wendy