Just a quick comment, Frank ...

I was using the new version of PS here, and fiddling with a new tool, the
Highlight/Shadows tool.  It was the first using it and I hadn't a clue as
to what I was doing.  Too damned technical for me to pick right up on it.
And then, after I posted the pic, I discovered that all the adjustments
were made on a monitor that was way out of calibration - it had been set to
1/2 the contrast ratio of the normal calibration.  Well, it's up, and I'm
zonked - been up all night - too much coffee, too interested in the new PS,
yadayadayada - and I'm not gonna change it now.

I love this pic, too .... and maybe you can tell from some of the others
I've posted, that I loved those kids and the neighborhood as well.  One of
the things that makes these pics work is an old and oft repeated but
frequently ignored aspect of photography: know your subject.  Here I lived
with these kids, we shared the 'hood, saw each other every day.  Much
different than hitting the streets to "see what you can find."

I like this one for the reasons you like it ... all the elements clearly
describe where this kid is from, where he lives, and, to an extent, how he
lives.  The clothes lines did it for me, too, as did the pants hanging on a
line over his shoulder.

Thanks for your kind and effusive comments.

Shel Belinkoff

But,
> once it was all loaded, and the details emerged, I could see some texture
> the clouds, the nice sharp clotheslines, and thought, "well, it's bright
> be sure, but it's what it ~should be~.  Great job of exposure!!
>
> Framing is remarkable!  The angle of the buildings (tenements?) on the
> right, the shape of the pavement playground (how inner city is that?) the
> fence in the background, the clothesline (there's that clothesline
again!),
> they all draw us into the child, yet they tell us the story about where
he
> is, and what environment he's from.
>
> Two more things (because I have to stop sometime):
>
> The expression is priceless.  Sort of shy, but with a hint of
anticipation,
> it's as if he's asking someone, "will you catch my ball, huh, will you?"
> It's so childlike (in a good way, of course).
>
> Second (again), I love that clothesline!  I don't know why, but it evokes
> something in me.  As I said before, it frames beautifully, but it also
says
> "inner city" so well.  I mean, I know folks have clotheslines in the
> country, but the lines going from building to building like that are so
> typical of crowded inner cities.  They're almost a link from apartment to
> apartment.  Makes me recall my mother, hanging off our balcony, hanging
the
> clothes, while the neighbour did the same thing, all the while chatting
> (more like yelling, gossiping very loudly <g>) between themselves, and
then
> ending up going to the other's kitchen for a coffee afterwards.  A type
of
> socializing that seems not to happen so much when people live in single
> family homes on huge lots in the 'burbs.
>
> Sorry to have gone on so, but it's a great photo, and it really touched
an
> emotional nerve with me (which is what great photos are supposed to do).
>
> cheers,
> frank
>
> "The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The
pessimist
> fears it is true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer
>

> >From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: PAW - That Darn Ball!
> >Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 04:32:27 -0700
> >
> >It's that ball again ... it's appeared in so many photos of the kids from
> >the old neighborhood in San Francisco.
> >
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~scbelinkoff/paw/boy_with_ball.html
> >
> >As always, comments, criticisms, and the tossing of tomatoes are welcome.
> >
> >Shel Belinkoff

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines