> On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:06:03 -0400, frank theriault wrote:
>
> > [...] some of these guys actually have to have pretty good car
> > handling skills to pull this stuff off!
> >
> > Good clean fun is what I now think (with lots of smoke, noise
> > and burnt rubber smell, what else could it be?)
>
> Some of those guys definitely have excellent car control.  But the
> whole thing just doesn't "speak" to me.  As far as I'm concerned, it's
> just a huge wet dream for the tire manufacturers.

Aksherly, based on my observations at Laguna Seca, it's mostly a huge
wet dream for the rice rocket brigade.  Maybe their Miata/Accord/whatever
can only just chirp the tires from a standing start.  But it looks enough
like the car on track that they can dream.  And there are all sorts of
lower-echelon competitions where they can even take their street car and
run it, making lots of noise and smoke without too much risk.

If I were 35 years younger I might even be tempted by it - I remember
having fun letting my father's Ford Cortina get tail-happy on corners.
I've even let the Mustang step out a couple of times.

I'm all for running events like this, and getting more younger people
interested in motorsports