On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:25:37 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi Gang,
>
>I am thinking about lightening the load in my camera bag, and changing
>the way I do things a little bit, so I have some gear I am interested in
>selling. All items are AS NEW. I will consider offers on the following:
>
>1. Tokina 300mm ATX F2.8 SD (MF) with case, carry bag, original lens
>hood and original box. Also    comes with 112mm filter on front, and
>rear cap (I think Cotty will vouch for how good these things are?).
>Comes with valuation from OEM importer for insurance purposes.

I don't mind an unsolicited comment on the Tokina 300/2.8 AT-X SD - it
is one fine lens. I've had two of them, both were sharp as tacks, I
almost regretted selling the first one because it was so good I was
afraid maybe it was one-of-a-kind, but when I got my second one it was
optically excellent also.  The first I sold to Cotty, who later sold
it as he forayed into DSLR country.

The real strength of this lens comes out when it is coupled with the
Pentax 1.7x AF adapter - it becomes a fine semi-autofocus 510/f5
(actually f5.047003 according to fCalc) *which is only a tad larger
than a 300/2.8*.   This lens, with or without the AF Adapter, compares
well with the Pentax FA* 600/f4 in optical quality at f4, and as a
bonus it focuses much closer than the 600/4.

I know the price range for this lens, and for the money there is no
better KA mount long lens solution anywhere.  Plus it has a nice deep
sturdy hood, which reverses and the whole thing fits in a protective
bag which I've taken into ballparks looking unobtrusively like a
2-liter water bottle bag.  Yes, it is a little heavy, because it takes
a lot of glass to make a long fast lens like a 300/2.8, but its sturdy
rotating tripod collar helps make it balance nicely on a monopod even
with a light duty head.

All in all, the Tokina AT-X SC 300/2.8 was one of my best lens
purchases ever.  Both times.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com