On Thu, 20 May 2004 17:23:24 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

The*istD and idle hands make for some easy comparisons.  Please flame
away all you like about how bad this is for a lens test, it pleases
me, so that heck wit ya, na na na na naaa.  I chose a subject distance
suitable for the lens in question, i.e. 3.3 meters for the 85mm, which
gives a full head-and-shoulders shot.

I used Rob's excel spreadsheet to calculate lpmm for three lenses at
available apertures f2-f8: the M85/2, FA 100/2.8 Macro, and a manual
focus Vivitar VS1 28-105/2.8-4 (fairly new cheap lens, not some old
cult classic).

Shots were manually focused.  I used the *istD mounted on a nice
stable Ries wooden tripod, 2-sec mirror prefire, actuated by the cable
release I modified from PZ to istD using PDML instructions (thanks
guys).  Numbers such as 0,3 show the group and pair resolved.  The
test target is one I keep pasted on the rec room wall for just such
misadventures as this.

The short story - from f2 through f4, the M 85 at 3.3 meter subject
distance is the clear winner, and maintains a slight edge at f5.6 and
f5.  This was surprising to me, but heck I saw it with my own eyes.

The 100/2.8 Macro resolves one small increment more at f8, being Group
0, Pair 6, but the spreadsheet penalizes it a bit for 100mm length vs
85mm, so the lpmm value is smaller.

M85/2
2       0,3     48.9
2.8     0,3     48.9