To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 9:49 AM
Subject: PAW - Legacy

Got to witness something that I always think of as quite special - a
mantid ovipositing (that means laying eggs... and an ootheca is an

egg-case)

Like many insects, these things generally exist in the winter only in
the form of eggs tucked away somewhere safe - at this time of year (it's
autumn in Oz remember) the adult female is getting cold, her prey is
scarce, and to ensure the continuation of her species she has to make a
little foamy ootheca before her death. Come spring, ichneumons
permitting, out will come a little regiment of baby mantids, at first
hanging from silk threads, then going out to make their way in the world.
I don't know whether I've managed to express myself well enough, but it
is something that to me is quite touching.
Needless to say, when I saw this one, I got my camera and took some
snaps. It's Orthodera ministralis, the Garden Mantid. These things also
have some pretty spectacular flash/display colouration.

http://davidavid.whatsbeef.net/mantid.jpg

As you can see, it's just finishing up the ootheca, and had scarpered
five minutes later.

*ist D, tamron 90mm/2.5 & 2x TC @ f8, 400ASA, inbuilt flash, af360fgz
off camera, bit of afternoon sunlight.

David