From: Rob Studdert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 8:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Implications for Film (storage opinions)

On 25 May 2004 at 19:08, Shawn K. wrote:

Well Rob, from what I've heard the government uses hard drives to archive
information. Seriously, quality hard drives are simply the best storage
option. If you have a RAID array, the chances of having such a

catastrophic

failure that all your data is lost are next to zero...

Who knows what "the government" uses. What I know that during my period in the industry I saw many array failures, from controller failures to lightening strikes and actual media failure of a series of drives due to manufacturing errors.

CD's can become unreadable without you knowing it, even when
stored properly. (I haven't used the writeable DVD's so I can't comment

on

their longevity.) I have had cd's that were guaranteed to last 90 years

go bad

after 2 years.

The archives from last moth with reveal a smorgasbord of information concerning this very topic from users with much experience many with contrary opinions. Check the threads "CD Storage" and "CD-R lifetimes disputed"

Rob Studdert HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA Tel +61-2-9554-4110 UTC(GMT) +10 Hours [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://members.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/publications/ Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998