K C wrote:
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:35:22
> From: "K C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Tele-Zoom Opinions?
>
> I was just perusing the Photodo & Photozone
> tele-zoom (70/80 - 300 range) reviews and
> found the following: (higher, generally better)
>
> Photodo-
> Pentax FA 80-320/4.5-5.6 = 2.5
> Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 DL MS = 2.9
> Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 AP M = 2.4
> Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6 LD =2.4
>
> Photozone-
> Pentax FA 80-320/4.5-5.6 =3.01
> Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 DL MS = 2.17
> Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO M = 2.60
> No Tamron listed
>
> I know all these different reviews are hard to
> compare, but its really confusing to see one case
> where the Sigma DL lens outperforms the Sigma APO
> lens, and another just the opposite and also
> where the Pentax 80-320 is somewhere in between.
>
> In general, what have folks' experiences been
> w/ any of these lenses?  The consistent best
> performer in tests has been the Tokina ATX 100-300
> but that's quite expensive and quite heavy.
>
> thanks!

I have been using the Sigma 70-300 DL Macro for some time now, bought it on
the basis of a magazine review which drew basically the same conclusion as
Photodo, the DL version scoring optically better than the APO. I can't compare
both lenses myself, but IMO the DL is a very good lens indeed, for its class.
The pic on the opening page of my photogallery was made with it (URL below).
I have had the same confusion as you lately, looking at the moment for a
Pentax standard zoom and comparing ratings and tests. It seems the F(A)
28-80/3.5-4.5 is the one to go for, followed closely by the 28-70/4 AL, but
there are contradictionary reviews. Could anybody please comment and/or
recommend on this issue? In short, what is the best (apart from the 28-70/2.8)
Pentax AF standardzoom at the moment? At while I'm at it, what about the A
versions? I think I've read the most positive things about the A 35-70/4.
Could this be right?
--

Vriendelijke groeten/kind regards,

Willem Falhaber