Hi,

Saturday, May 29, 2004, 3:24:24 PM, Malcolm wrote:

> My parents had builders in for nearly a year [...] Whenever I hear the word
> builders, the phrase 'lock &
> load' comes to mind.

I knew someone in a similar position, who contracted a builder to do
his whole house, which was very big. The builder started everything at
the same time, then pissed around, continually jacking up his prices
and making my friend's life a misery. He couldn't sack him because no
other builder would take on the task of sorting out such a huge mess.

The lesson I learned from watching it is simple. Only contract for
small amounts at a time, so you can sack them without much difficulty.
Let them know that the reward for good work is more work.

--
Cheers,
 Bob