Hi Bruce

I have thought of getting out of Pentax anyway for
many reasons (lack of AF teleconverters, etc.) anyway,
but this may be the straw that breaks the mule's back.

No doubt I will be adding or switching to digital in
the future, but Pentax is always slow to the market.
Their current digital line-up (SLR based) is composed
of an *istD and a single lone DA lens (with a 14mm to
come out soon).

Anyway, with Canon or Nikon, there are plenty of EOS
1n's, 3's, 1V's, F5's, F100's kicking around (used &
new), and Canon just released an Elan 7n/ne. So if my
MZ-S broke, can I buy another one? They are very
scarce on the used market. Moreoever, Canon/Nikon have
a good solid DSLR system (keep in mind system) on the
market, so to me this is a no brainer.

Anyway, Pentax may release a more high-end DSLR and
new lenses soon, but I'm not going to hang my hat on
it right now.

We'll have to see. I still love using film for many
reasons. Though my website is not up yet, I will be
selling wildlife/nature/landscape art cards, posters
and prints (& sizes bigger than 16x20; yes 35mm can
still hold at this magnification), and I love the
"look" of film for this application. I also get all my
work scanned on a production drum scanner (not a
Flextight, but a Heidelberg, oil & all.

National Geographic hasn't switched over to digital
yet, though some features have been done (e.g. Jim
Brandenberg's article; I didn't like the look of it
even though be used a D100 & there we some complain
letters too regarding the image quality not being up
to par).

Anyway, just my point of view. For others this may not
be a big deal.

Cliff

=====