Hi Rob ...

> It also have good basic colour control and calibration options plus a
nice
> straight forward no bells and whistles interface. For instance one very
nice
> option is the histogram preview, it's pretty much unique in that it
provides a
> view of the unaltered histogram with the modified (due to the users
pre-set
> adjustments) below, it also simultaneously displays composite RGB and
> independent R, G and B histograms.

I saw that, and it looked like a nice feature.

> The lack of ICE in Vuescan is of little consequence if your films are
kept free
> of dust and scratches due to bad handling.

The lack of ice is of little consequence when scanning conventional B&W
film, which most of my scanning will be.  Plus, I don't mind spotting - I
find it relaxing.  Katrin Eismann. in her bookPhotoshop Restoring and
Retouching describes a wonderful technique for spotting and retouching
large areas of similar color.  Once you get it down, you can spot and
retiuch an entire sky in less time than ICE3 can do it.

> Nikonscan has some on going issues WRT it's neg scanning algorithms
however I
> don't know if this affects your scanner:
>
> http://www.marginalsoftware.com/LS8000Notes/NS_neg_scanning.htm

It might ... will have to examine it when I get the scanner.  Thanks for
the good info and the link.

 Cheers,

Shel